Rola's Perfect Roast Chicken
- 1 whole chicken
- 1/2 Cup garlic sauce
- 1 T. Smoked paprika
- 1 T. Cajun spice or your favorite chicken seasoning
- 1/2 of a lemon
- 1/2 of a small red or yellow onion peeled
- 1/2 Cup of white vinegar
- 1 T. of cinnamon powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash chicken in cold water. Place chicken in a large bowl filled with water so that chicken is fully submerged. Add 1/2 cup of white vinegar and let sit for 15 minutes max. Take chicken out and wash with water and sprinkle 1 T. of cinnamon powder all over chicken inside and out. Wash chicken again with water and dry – this step is necessary to get rid of any gamy smell or taste from the chicken.
- Marinade all over with 1/4 cup garlic sauce, Cajun spice, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Making sure you get under the skin and into the cavity of chicken. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours (preferably overnight).
- Preheat oven to 500F (260C). Place the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan. Insert the 1/2 lemon and 1/2 onion inside chicken and place the pan in the lower third of the oven and roast uncovered for 30 minutes. Lower heat to 375F (190C) and cover chicken with aluminum foil and continue baking for another 50 minutes. Test for doneness by poking the chicken thigh with a sharp knife; if the liquid runs clear with no blood, then the chicken is done. Let rest for at least 15-30 minutes before serving with the Syracuse potatoes.
Note: you can double the ingredients for 2 whole chickens.