Orange French Toast
I simply love french toast especially when it's moist and custardy. So I thought it would be fun to bake it and serve it in an orange since oranges not only have a lot of flavor on their own but can also keep the French toast moist, enjoy!
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 Cup whole milk
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- zest of 1 orange
- 6 slices of French bread cut into 1 inch squares
- 2 big oranges cut in half
- ready made caramel sauce
- toasted pecans
- Mix the first 7 ingredients in a medium size bowl. make sure they are mixed well. Add the bread pieces and soak for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- In the mean time, carve out the contents of the sliced oranges so that you have 4 empty orange shells. Make sure the shells stay intact.
- Fill each shell with soaked bread all the way to the top.
- Transfer the oranges to a baking sheet and if the oranges can't stand straight then you can place an aluminum foil ring around each orange to hold it in place.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Top with caramel sauce and some toasted pecans. Enjoy!